Below is a guide for installing the Virus Total apk on your Firestick / FireTV. This app will allow you to scan your Fire device to check if any of the installed applications have any form of malware within them.
The guide below will involve installing Downloader on your device. If you already have Downloader installed you can move straight to the URL for installing.
It is becoming more and more important to protect yourself online. This can easily be done using a VPN that stops your internet provider from being able to see what you are accessing online. It also removes any blocks put in place by your internet provider. They are also great for using when you are using public unsecured Wi-Fi
2 VPNs I use and can recommend are IPVanish & StrongVPN. Below are links to their websites. Both of which will give you an extra discount.
- Open Firestick/FireTV
- Select Settings
- In Settings scroll down and select My Fire TV
- Select Developer Options
- Select Apps from Unknown Sources
- Select Turn On
- Now go back to your Home Screen. Highlight Find and then select Search
- Now use the keyboard and start typing Downloader. Once you see Downloader underneath select it
- In the next screen select the Downloader icon
- Select Download
- Once downloaded select Open
- Select Allow when asked to give Downloader access to files (necessary for it to install APKs)
- Select OK once the app opens
- You will now see the following screen. Select the URL section
- Type bit.ly/virtota and select Go
- The following page will open. Scroll down and select the Download button
- Once downloaded select Install
- Once installed select Done
- Select Delete
- Select Delete again
- Go back to your Home Screen and select Application Launcher
- Scroll down and select Virus Total
- When the app opens you will see no visual indicators as to which section of the app is selected. This is due to it not being native to the Firestick but built for a mobile device. By default SCAN is actually selected so just click on the middle button on your Fire remote to begin a scan
- You will see a message regarding the analytics function not working just click OK
- You can now see a list of the applications on your device have been scanned. On the left hand side there will be green ticks or red crosses. If you see red crosses click on the item to find what is reported. If it is anything bad then uninstall
I recommend using a VPN to help keep yourself anonymous and protect yourself online. You can get large reductions on any package from IPVanish & 20% off any Strong VPN Package which allow you to connect multiple devices to an encrypted VPN connection at any one time.
- Native apps for Android TV, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, and more OS'
- Unlimited connections (On IPVanish, 10 on Strong VPN)
- Access all APKs anonymously
- Tier 1 hardware (no speed slowdown)
- 250 GB SugarSync Online Storage
- Prevent ISP Throttling
- Log-free, so you can’t be tracked
- 30 day money back guarantee
- The ability to be configured right at your router, for a hassle-free experience.