This method is aimed at people who don't have computers. I do get some people who don't have computer access so this method is something that can be done without a computer. I will add a guide for using adbfire too.
If you have a 2nd gen Fire Stick and a VPN account you can now install their VPN client on your Firestick using this guide (The guide has shows how to install IPVanish or PIA but if you know what you are doing you should be able to do it with any other VPN as long as you know a url to access the Android apk of your VPN provider)
I know a lot of people who visit this site use Firesticks and some of the posts I do involve installing a zip file rather than adding source URLs to the Kodi File Manager. So I thought a guide for installing zip files using ES File Explorer would be good.
Installing ES File Explorer is necessary but once installed you will not need to do it again so the guide is in 2 sections: Installing ES; Downloading and Installing zips.
To Install ES File Explorer on FireStick
- Select Settings
- Select System
- Select Developer Options
- Select Apps from Unknown Sources and turn ON
- You will now see a warning message regarding unknown sources. Select OK you can turn off unknown sources later but we need it on to install Kodi
- Go back to your FireStick Home Screen
- Select Search & start typing ES File Explorer
- Select ES File Explorer when the application appears
- Select Free
ES File Explorer will now install. That is the 1st step complete. We can now move on to downloading and installing zip files to your Firestick
Before we start you need to know the url of the zip you wish to download. For this example I am going to use the TKNorris Beta Testing repo zip. The URL can be pretty long and would be a pain putting into the Firestick so what I have done is used the URL shortener website bit.ly to make a short url making it easy to type in - which I recommend you do too.
- Open ES File Explorer
- Select Favourite when ES File Explorer opens
- Select Add
- Select Path
- Type in the url of the zip file you are trying to install. I will use the bit.ly address I created for the TKNorris repo & select Next
- Add a name for the zip file & select Next. I will use tkrepo for this example
- Select Add
- You should now have a bookmark in your Favourites with the name you chose. Select it
- The zip will now download and tell you the location of the download (which will always be the Download directory on your Firestick)
- DO NOT select Open Folder or Open File just press the Home button on your Firestick and launch Kodi (which can now be found under - Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications) and select SYSTEM
- Select Add-Ons
- Select Install from zip file
- Select External Storage
- Select Download
- Select the zip file you just downloaded
- Wait for Add-on enabled notification
The file is now installed on your Firestick.
You can delete the bookmark from ES File Explorer Favourites by long pressing on it with the middle button on your Firestick remote and selecting remove or keep it there if it is a zip file you may want to download again.